British Heart Foundation - Using Resistance Bands
How to Buy an Exercise Band
Exercise bands, also called resistance bands, are rubber or latex tubes or strips of various lengths and thicknesses with handles on the ends used for strength training. Increasing body strength requires adding a resistive force to your muscles. In many exercises, this resistive force is achieved through free weights or machines. Using exercise bands allows you to achieve the same results as you would with other resistive forces but with the convenience of high portability and easy storage. While most resistance bands are made up of a stretchy rubber compound, they are not all the same in terms of design and level of resistance. Use these steps for tips on how to purchase a resistance band.
Decide what kind of exercises you will perform with the band.
- Determine if you will use the bands as your primary method of strength training or as a supplement to an already established workout regimen. If you are considering using bands exclusively, you might need to purchase more than one.
- Narrow down your search by specifying a need for physical therapy exercise bands or regular exercise bands. Physical therapy resistance bands have a more specialized purpose and are much less intense than other bands.
Choose between a tube or strip design.
- Select a band with a strip design if you want to purchase the most basic device. Strip exercise bands are simply wide pieces of rubber cut to different lengths. They do not have handles, but they are the most inexpensive choice.
- Settle on a tube design if you feel handles would be more comfortable or want to purchase a more durable band. Within the category of tube bands, you can choose between hard plastic and soft foam handles. Both types work; it is a personal comfort decision.
Understand the different levels of resistance and select the best for you.
- Acknowledge the 4 main levels. Light bands are typically long and thin and provide between 3 and 5 lbs. (1.36 and 2.27 kgs) of resistance. These bands are best for beginners. Medium bands allow for about 8 lbs. (3.63 kg) of resistance. Heavy bands can provide as much as 12 to 15 lbs. (5.44 to 6.8 kgs) of resistance and are appropriate for people who are already fit. The heaviest band, which might be labeled "extra-heavy band" should be employed by experienced users. These extra-heavy bands can provide as much as 20 lbs. (9.07 kgs) of resistance.
Examine the distinct features of various bands.
- Look for features such as door attachments, removable handles, clips, ankle cuffs and rings. Some exercise bands will come with these extras.
Plan to buy 1 or 2 bands or an entire kit.
- Buy a starter kit if you are looking for a full workout. These kits will often come with instructional videos. Purchasing 1 band typically will cost between 5 and 10 dollars.
Visit an exercise or sporting goods store.
- Inspect the band packaging, take them out and hold them in your hands. You should be able to tell if they feel stable and durable.
QuestionI bought a resistance band and it has a rubber tube on it. What is the reason?FaithtychCommunity AnswerSo you can make it small, medium or large.Thanks!
QuestionThere is problem with my chest called uneven chest. I want to fix it as soon as possible. What do I have to do?Community AnswerThanks!
Does resistance band decrease height? I'm 19 years old
- Keep your receipt in case you get home and the band you purchased does not provide enough resistance. You should return it and purchase a tighter one.
- Women typically utilize exercise bands, but it is possible for active men to achieve muscle tone with them as well. Folding the band in half can double the resistance for many brands of resistance bands.
- Do not purchase exercise bands to self-treat an injury. Always consult a medical practitioner before beginning a self-rehabilitation program. You could end up doing more damage to your body.
- Do not overstretch a resistance band. They can snap or suffer decreased resistance if overstretched.
Video: 8 Best Band Exercises for Mass (DON’T IGNORE THESE!)
Artemisia: proprietà e benefici dellerba di San Giovanni altrimenti conosciuta come erba magica di Harry Potter
How to Build a Flag Display Case
Star Fruit Nutrition Facts
How To Create A Wedding Tablescape You Can Be Proud – Part 2
Found: Katie Holmes’ Favorite Necklace (That Benefits Breast CancerResearch)
How to Make Friends in a New City
Roasted Vegetable Quesadillas Recipe
Smoked Ham and Grilled Cheese
How to Make Sharpie Mugs
How to Have Fun with Your Dog Outdoors
The Cookie Diet
How to Raise Autism Awareness
How to Get a Girls Number as a Teen
Moroccan Chicken and Couscous
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup